AW: [hybi] I-D Action: draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-14.txt

> Short answer: BCP 61, Section 7.
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp61#section-7>

I'm not sure, are you pointing to

"   However security must be a MUST IMPLEMENT so that end users will have
   the option of enabling it when the situation calls for it.
"?

This does not say TLS must be used, but only that "security" is mandatory.

TLS provides point-to-point security, but not end-to-end, the latter
providing a higher level of confidentiality.

So, when end-to-end security is desired by a user in some scenario,
an implementation could provide a message payload encryption scheme
and BCP 61, Section 7 would be fulfilled without having TLS implemented.

What about

"""
Point-to-point communications confidentiality and integrity is provided by running
the WebSocket protocol over TLS (wss URIs).

WebSocket  implementations MUST support TLS, and SHOULD employ it when
communicating with their peers, unless a stronger form of security scheme
like end-to-end encryption is in place.
"""