Re: [pkix] I-D Action: draft-ietf-pkix-caa-02.txt

This rev is mostly removing the stuff the WG does not want in PKIX scope and changing from policy OIDs and path digests to domain names.

I have marked the old issue properties plus the auth property Google uses in Chrome as 'reserved' to stop them being re-assigned.

I have not fully speced out how to use domain names yet. Assume that the draft says all the right things about I18N etc.

The question to consider is what attributes we might want to permit in the data field beyond the domain name. I see the following as possible:

1) Nothing
2) Standard attributes defined by the spec
3) Non standard attributes defined by the issuer
4) A mixture of 2 and 3.

My preference is 2 with maybe leaving the door open to 4 later on.

The reason I might want to have this type of information is that it allows the CA to support requests to restrict issue to particular policies, particular EKUs, etc. etc. Some of those features might be something we could eventually agree on a standard for, but quite a few are not.

Since everything in the CAA record apart from the domain name is essentially a conversation between the customer and their chosen CA the simplest approach is to leave this to the CA and their customer.

If conventions do emerge over time (e.g. policy=EV) that seem worth noting then we can do a BIS version of CAA and include them.

In order to keep the door open to the latter, I would suggest that any subfield encoding for the data field be the SMTP header format  [tag=value (; tag=value)* ]