I-D ACTION:draft-mule-cablelabs-docsis3-ipv6-00.txt

	Title		: DOCSIS 3.0 Requirements for IPv6 support
	Author(s)	: R. Droms, et al.
	Filename	: draft-mule-cablelabs-docsis3-ipv6-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 2006-5-3

This document provides an overview of the draft requirements for IPv6
support in the CableLabs DOCSIS 3.0 specifications.  Our goal is to
share high-level IPv6 requirements and design architecture in draft
status with the IETF community.

We first introduce the main network elements involved in the support
of IPv6 in DOCSIS cable networks and expand on the deployment
scenarios in scope of the DOCSIS 3.0 efforts.  We elaborate on the
roles played by some network elements in enabling IPv6 in DOCSIS: the
broadband access device (Cable Modem), the headend or network side
equipment (Cable Modem Termination System) and the various backoffice
servers.  Some high-level requirements are then summarized with a
special focus on three network services: IPv6 provisioning and
management of cable modems, IPv6 transport via a DOCSIS network using
a cable modem acting as an IPv6 bridge or router, and IP multicast.
Finally, we conclude with a theory of operations section to provide
more details and sample flows on how an IPv6-capable cable modem
acquires its IPv6 address and configuration parameters over a DOCSIS
3.0 network.

CableLabs, its members, the vendors participating in the DOCSIS
specifications and the co-authors of this document are seeking
general feedback from the IETF community on the overall DOCSIS IPv6
approach.  The level of requirements provided in this document may
vary; we also welcome feedback on where more details should be
provided in future versions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mule-cablelabs-docsis3-ipv6-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
i-d-announce-request@ietf.org with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mule-cablelabs-docsis3-ipv6-00.txt".

http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

Send a message to:
	mailserv@ietf.org.
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mule-cablelabs-docsis3-ipv6-00.txt".

NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	how to manipulate these messages.

Internet-Draft.
<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mule-cablelabs-docsis3-ipv6-00.txt>