IETF Server Migration

Hi All,

NeuStar Secretariat Services will be migrating the IETF to new servers in
accordance with the schedule below.  All work will be done on the weekends to
minimize disruptions, but there are periods when services will be down.

We will be installing new Web servers, ftp servers, smtp and mailman servers,
and the server for the Secretariatâ??s Web tools.  In most cases, we will be
migrating to faster, and more redundant hardware; in other cases, upgrading
software to newer versions with additional features.

We believe we are prepared for this move, but, as with all migrations of this
size and complexity, there may be some glitches.  If you experience any
difficulties over this period, or notice anything amiss with the site, mailing
lists, etc, then please send email to ietf-action@ietf.org and copy the IAD at
iad@ietf.org.  In case of an emergency, please call the emergency number:
+1 301-858-6268.

Migration Schedule with expected down times:

Saturday, Feb 11th:
   a. Web services (www.ietf.org, www.iab.org, www.iesg.org, noc.ietf.org).
     - Down Time: Web services will be seamless during the migration since
                  the old and new system will be running parallel for the
                  next 48 hours after the migration.
   b. FTP services (ftp.ietf.org).
     - Down Time: FTP services will be seamless during the migration since
                  the old and new system will be running parallel for the
                  next 48 hours after the migration.
   c. The Secretariat's Web Tools (datatracker.ietf.org - I-D Trackers,
      I-D DB Interface, IPR Submission and List page, Liaisons Submission
      and List page, WG chairs tools, Mailing List request tool, Non-WG
      Mailing List Posting tool and list page, and any other pages that
      are being handled by datatracker.ietf.org server.)
      - Down Time: 7:00 AM ET.
      - Up Time: It could be as early as 9:00 AM ET. and as late as
                 7:00 AM ET., the next day depends on the DNS propagation
                 latency. See note below.

Saturday, Feb 18th:
   a. Mailing List Services (www1.ietf.org)
      - Down Time: 7:00 AM ET.
      - Up Time: It could be as early as 11:00 AM ET. and as late as
                 7:00 AM ET., the next day depends on the DNS propagation
                 latency. See note below.
   b. Request Tracker Services (ticket.ietf.org)
      - Down Time: 7:00 AM ET.
      - Up Time: It could be as early as 11:00 AM ET. and as late as
                 7:00 AM ET., the next day depends on the DNS propagation
                 latency. See note below.

      Please note that the down time for the RT system affects only those
      people who have accounts with the site.  One will stil be able to
      send a message to the Secretariat (ietf-action@ietf.org, etc).
      Messages will be hold up in the IETF mail server and released when
      the RT system is back in service.

If it becomes necessary to change these plans, then we will send a second
message to the list with the updated schedule.

Thanks.

IETF Secretariat.

Note: Most of the name servers will be updated and bring the services from
our new servers within a couple of hours after migrations.  However, this
depends on their network environment, some names servers may be updated
later than others.