Re: New tool prototypes

At 07:08 04/03/2005, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:

   2. Workgroup status pages showing the current status of the drafts
   belonging to a workgroup: http://tools.ietf.org/wg/

<snip>

As these are prototypes, they are not expected to be perfect or complete,
but they are expected to be useful to the community as-is, and comments
on functionality, missing features and bugs are welcome!

Comments will be taken as input to specification of full-fledged versions
of similar tools, and may also be fed back into the prototypes.

I think we need at least one more status state.
In my working group we encourage people to write up their ideas as
discussion platform. After 2-5 ideas are presented and discussed they
morph into one final product.
Frequently the first and second versions of these drafts
are draft-<editor>-<wg> (our suggested notation) before making it
to draft-ietf-<wg>.

The status: "Expired" to me means the draft has been dropped
but that is frequently not accurate.
I would like to be able to indicate that a draft has
been "Replaced by" another draft.

Example: on DNSEXT page in the Expired category are drafts:
        draft-ietf-dnsext-parent-stores-zone-keys
        draft-ietf-dnsext-parent-sig
These two[1] drafts motivated and gave way to
        draft-ietf-dnsext-delegation-signer  RFC 3658

From historical perspective I would like to somehow acknowledge
the people that contributed to the process and how they did that.

I realize this is a larger issue than just the tool, as the
back end database does not have this information.

        Olafur

[1] At least one of these draft was had a draft-<editor> draft
before it became a WG draft.