Impending Publication: draft-iab-congestion-01.txt

   The IAB is ready to ask the RFC-Editor to publish

   IAB Concerns Regarding Congestion Control for Voice Traffic in the Internet

       draft-iab-congestion-01.txt

   as an Informational RFC. This document describes some considerations
   relating to the use of IP protocol number fields and payload protocol
   (e.g. TCP) port fields in protocols and deployed services. The IAB would
   like to ensure that the IETF community has had an opportunity to
   read it and comment before its publication.

   The IAB solicits comments by July 7, 2003. Please send
   comments to the IAB (iab@iab.org), or to ietf@ietf.org.

   The document can be found at

   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-congestion-01.txt

   From the Abstract

       This document discusses IAB concerns about effective end-to-end
       congestion control for best-effort voice traffic in the Internet.
       These concerns have to do with fairness, user quality, and with the
       dangers of congestion collapse. The concerns are particularly
       relevant in light of the absence of a widespread QoS deployment in
       the Internet, and the likelihood that this situation will not change
       much in the near term. This document is not making any
       recommendations about deployment paths for VoIP in terms of QoS
       support, and is not claiming that best-effort service can be relied
       upon to give acceptable performance for VoIP. We are merely
       observing that voice traffic is occasionally deployed as best-effort
       traffic over some links in the Internet, that we expect this
       occasional deployment to continue, and that we have concerns about
       the lack of effective end-to-end congestion control for this best-
       effort voice traffic.

   Leslie Daigle
   For the IAB