IAOC report in advance of IETF 100

This report is provided in advance of IETF100 for the purpose of giving IETF participants more detail of the current work of the IAOC. Please feel free to bring any questions about its contents to the IETF Plenary in Singapore, or share them directly with the IAOC (iaoc@ietf.org).

As announced on June 13, 2017, Ray Pelletier retired on October 31, 2017.  Ray will be coming to IETF100 in Singapore; if you see him, wish him well in his new endeavours!   We were pleased to be successful in our search for an interim IAD, to take on the role until the IASA 2.0 work is completed next year.  On October 1, Portia Wenze-Danley took on the role of interim IAD, and she will be the IAD in charge in Singapore.

Two important policy documents were finalized by the IAOC Legal Committee and adopted by the IAOC in September:

1. The IETF statement concerning personal data (“Privacy Policy”) is available here:  https://iaoc.ietf.org/StatementConcerningPersonalData.html

2. The Document Authentication Procedure (“Subpoena policy”) is available at:  https://iaoc.ietf.org/DocumentAuthenticationProcedures.html

There was some follow up discussion about the personal information policy, which was addressed by the Legal Committee Chair, John Levine, here:  https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg105044.html .

We have two RFPs that are active.  The Legal Services RFP (https://iaoc.ietf.org/documents/AnnounceLegalServicesRFP6Sep17.pdf) yielded several qualified bidders, and bids are being reviewed now.  There is also an open RFP for further RFC Editor tool development (bids are due by November 20, 2017):  https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf-announce/ID-4-wva0fULJUwkenfLl2c1u4s .

Contract negotiations for IETF 103 are ongoing, and we will update the community with the information for the meeting as soon as they have completed.

The IAD has prepared, and the IAOC has proposed a budget for 2018.  It is before the ISOC Board for approval at its meeting (immediately following the IETF 100 meeting in Singapore).   Once approved, there will be a more thorough presentation of the numbers and rational.  For the purposes of this report, and as a follow on to the issue noted at the end of the IETF99 report, I wanted to flag that revenues continue to be a problem. The 2018 proposed IETF expense budget is the same as 2017 - $7 million.  However, the proposed IETF 2018 Budget revenues are $1 million less, which reflect the impact of the declines in attendance and sponsorships over the last two years.  As it stands, meeting registration fees are planned to remain the same in 2018, and there is a $900,000 increase in the Internet Society direct contribution in 2018.  However, registration fees are currently forecast to increase more than 10% in 2019, and 3%+ in 2020 and annually thereafter. Sponsorship targets are forecas
 t to be increased $250,000 each in 2019 and 2020. The IASA 2.0 review of the IETF’s administrative structure as well as the budget model reconsideration may alter these forecasts next year.

Leslie Daigle,
IAOC Chair, for the IAOC.