Follow up on barriers to entry blog post

The IESG, IAB and IAOC note the recent US executive order concerning
entry into the United States and the ongoing discussion of it amongst
the IETF community. While nations determine who may cross their borders,
we are very concerned that the resulting uncertainty has damaged our
ability to host appropriately inclusive meetings and workshops, and may
result in increased travel restrictions in other locations going
forward. The present uncertainty affects participants traveling to a
meeting in the US, or US-based participants returning from a meeting
held outside the US. We are also concerned that such actions may
unreasonably limit the ability of engineers the world over to take a
full part in IETF activities that involve face-to-face meetings.

Our primary means of communication (email) does not suffer from such
restrictions, and we have worked to continually improve remote
participation for face-to-face meetings. But those who cannot attend
face-to-face meetings are at a disadvantage compared to those who can,
and the meetings overall are less effective opportunities for high-
bandwidth collaboration, cross-pollination of ideas, and focusing on
running code. We expect the results to be detrimental to our goal of
making the Internet work better.

The IESG, IAB and IAOC are committed to planning our future meetings in
locations that do not present an undue risk to our participants and our
efforts. Our next meeting in Chicago is going ahead as planned, but we
are working now to investigate any ways in which we can mitigate
possible disruptions in the near term. Future meetings in the US are
being reviewed, as we would normally do when we learn of significant
access issues in any of our planned meeting locations.

We encourage the IETF community to raise awareness of travel
restrictions that make it difficult to attend our meetings in person.