Appointment of Alex Zinin as co-AD of the temporary Sub-IP area

The IESG has asked Alex Zinin, routing co-AD, to take on the
additional role of co-Area Director for the temporary sub-IP
area.  He will be working with with Bert Wijnen, who is also
co-AD of the Operations & Management area, and who has
been Sub-IP AD since the inception of the area.

In November 2002, the IESG said the following about
the Sub-IP area

In this situation, the IESG has come to the following
conclusion

- We will NOT close the sub-IP area by March 2003.
We will instead encourage the WGs that we think are nearly finished
to finish up their work, work further with the architecture of the
"sub-IP" technologies, and, together with the participants, try to
find the optimal solutions for the management of the working groups.
- We will NOT ask for a new AD for the area. We will instead look at
the composition of the IESG after March, and determine then which
are the best ADs to take on the additional burden of shepherding
the sub-IP area.

The IESG will continue to evaluate the situation, based on community
input, and revisit the issue in March 2003. If the likely outcome is
that the area will have only 2 or 3 working groups by the end of 2003,
the IESG will propose a transition schedule for migrating unclosed
Working Groups and shutting down the area.
If there appears to be significant reason for expanding work in this
area, without going outside the boundaries of the areas for which the
IETF has traditionally been able to contribute significantly to, the
IESG may choose a different strategy at that time.

The IESG is still evaluating possible strategies for the Sub-IP area,
and will continue these discussions at the IETF meeting in San
Francisco.

We would like to extend our thanks to Scott Bradner for his efforts
in managing the Sub-IP area from its inception to the present.

Harald Alvestrand
For the IESG