WG Action: Simple Authentication and Security Layer (sasl)

A new working group has been formed in the Security Area of the IETF.
For additional information, contact the Area Directors
or the WG Chair.

Simple Authentication and Security Layer (sasl)

   Current Status: Active Working Group

   Chair(s):
           Sam Hartman <hartmans@mit.edu>
           K. Zeilenga <kurt@openLDAP.org>

   Security Area Director(s):
           J. Schiller <jis@mit.edu>
           Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>

   Security Area Advisor:
           J. Schiller <jis@mit.edu>

   Mailing Lists:
           General Discussion:ietf-sasl@imc.org
                   In Body: subscribe
           Archive: http://www.imc.org/ietf-sasl/mail-archive/

 Description of Working Group:

The Simple Authentication and Security Layer [RFC2222] provides key
security services to a number of application protocols including BEEP,
IMAP, LDAP, POP, and SMTP. The purpose of this working group is to
shepherd SASL, including select SASL mechanisms, through the Internet
Standards process.

This group will deliver a revised SASL Technical Specification
suitable for consideration as a Draft Standard. This work will be
based upon RFC 2222 and draft-myers-saslrev.

This group will deliver revised Technical Specifications suitable for
consideration as Draft Standards for the following SASL mechanisms:
ANONYMOUS, PLAIN, CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5, and EXTERNAL. This work will
be based upon RFC 2195, RFC 2222, RFC 2831, draft-zeilenga-sasl-anon,
draft-zeilenga-sasl-plain, draft-nerenberg-sasl-crammd5 and
draft-melnikov-rfc2831bis, and draft-myers-saslrev-xx.txt.

This group will deliver a revised Technical Specification suitable for
publication as Proposed Standard for the GSSAPI family of SASL
mechanisms. This work will be based upon RFC 2222 and
draft-ietf-cat-sasl-gssapi.

The following areas are not within the scope of work of this WG:

- new features,
- SASL Mechanisms not specifically mentioned above, and
- SASL "profiles".

However, the SASL WG is an acceptable forum for review of SASL-related
submissions produced by others as long as such review does not impede
progress on the WG objectives listed above.

Goals and Milestones:

JAN 03 Submit revised SASL (+ EXTERNAL) I-D

JAN 03 Submit revised SASL ANONYMOUS I-D

JAN 03 Submit revised SASL PLAIN I-D

JAN 03 Submit revised SASL CRAM-MD5 I-D

JAN 03 Submit revised SASL DIGEST-MD5 I-D

JAN 03 Submit revised SASL GSSAPI I-D

JUN 03 Submit Implementation Report

JUL 03 Submit revised SASL, CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5 I-Ds with
	 Implementation Report to IESG for consideration as a Draft
	 Standard

JUL 03 Submit revised SASL GSSAPI I-D to IESG for consideration as
	 a Proposed Standard

AUG 03 Revise charter or conclude