PrivacyGuard doesn't work even by sending ACPI commands directly

Hi,

I have a ThinkPad X13 Gen 2 AMD with PrivacyGuard. But by pressing the combination key Fn+D it does not toggle the PrivacyGuard, the PrivacyGuard stays on. I've tested:

- Fn+D does toggle PrivacyGuard when I'm in the BIOS
- Fn+D has no effect on Ubuntu 22.10, Ubuntu 23.04, Ubuntu 23.10, Ubuntu 24.04 and Fedora 40 (except Ubuntu 23.10 and 24.04, all was tested using LiveUSB)

In all of the Linux cases, I can confirm that by pressing Fn+D, the status value of /proc/acpi/ibm/lcdshadow actually changes.

I've always thought this was a Ubuntu-specific issue, until I tested Fedora.

I tested this further by installing the acpi-call-dkms package on Ubuntu and issues the following call:

echo '\_SB.PCI0.LPC0.EC0.HKEY.SSSS 0x1' | sudo tee /proc/acpi/call

It returned 0 (which should mean success), but PrivacyGuard is still ON. Then I tried to call it with 0x0:

echo '\_SB.PCI0.LPC0.EC0.HKEY.SSSS 0x0' | sudo tee /proc/acpi/call

Also getting 0 in return. PrivacyGuard is still ON.

Based on my limited understanding of ACPI and the kernel, at this point it might be a firmware issue? (fwupdmgr shows that there is no available updates) But based on my reading and understanding of thinkpad_acpi.c, the particular ACPI call that I issued is also how the Linux driver currently operates the PrivacyGuard feature, which means the driver might also be affected by this issue. So I'm hoping someone could help me debug this further, or point out anything that I'm not understanding correctly.

Thanks!