Re: T60: Xubuntu 20.04 LTS reduces maximum fan speed

On Wed, 06 May 2020, Leonhard Klein wrote:
> I just upgraded my T60 from some old Ubuntu from ~2016 to the newest
> release and found out that the fan is really quiet --- and the thing is
> overheating under load (crashing).

Try to remove anything you had installed to "control fan speed", nothing
on Ubuntu should be touching the fans by itself.

But if it *is* doing that, check thermald and friends.  That might be
it.

And you can always use the driver's default of 'fan control disabled' to
ensure nothing can mess with the fan (it will remain in auto mode).

> When I control it manually to 7 it hardly reaches 4000rpm.
> In disengaged it slowly increases until the watchdog restores the value.

Hmm, the EC is likely taking too long to restart the tachometer in
disengaged mode, but still it should not trigger a watchdog restore.

> Is this a bug in this kernel module, or do I need to search somewhere else?

Somewhere else, unfortunately.  The thinkpad-acpi kernel module just
obeys, it won't try to change fan speed by itself, ever.

But something else might be trying to control the fan through
thinkpad-acpi, yes.  Or not applying some thermal control policy that
used to work, and thus your system overheats more easily.

--
  Henrique Holschuh