Re: Unsupported brightness interface on X1 Carbon (1st gen)

Is this true of the first generation X1C? I realize the 2nd gen just came out and don't expect that to be fully supported yet but the original has been around for years now.

I've done some poking around and compiled a module with some debugging. I found that my 1st gen X1C is reporting that it has a 100 level brightness interface (which is why we are getting this message).

Maybe you can give me some guidance so I can work on and submit a patch to handle supporting this? It is somewhat odd considering the brightness controls seem to work for me regardless of the interface being unsupported but I'd like to give it a shot.

Also, I don't know if I'm just horrible at searching for the patches but I did not see anything regarding a fix for this in the mailing list archives during my initial search through the archives.

Cheers,

-Tyler

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 8:47 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 09 Apr 2014, Tyler Brock wrote:
> Any thoughts guys? This laptop has been out for a while so I'm not sure why
> it would be unsupported. I'd be happy to help code something up if we need
> to fix something and you point me in the right direction.

It is unsupported because I don't have one, and the people who have some
docs and a X1C to test are starting to provide patches.  I've ACK'd a few of
them very recently.

It will take a while yet for all of them to land on a released kernel (3.15
at the very least), unless some of them are backported (there are several,
including patches to enable the sensors hub for the Helix which likely is
also required on the X1C, etc).  I *think* there's even a BIOS update that
Lenovo should issue in the next few weeks to solve some nastiness on
suspend/resume... but I don't recall right now if it is for the X1C or the
Helix.

You can hunt down the patches on the list archives for ibm-acpi-devel, and
also the platform-driver-x86 ML (at vger.kernel.org) and LKML (the sensor
hub one).

  Henrique Holschuh