Re: report about unknown possible thermal alarm or keyboard event received

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013, Steve Newcomb wrote:
> Lenovo X220.  Mains power failure of about 1 second.  Machine is powered
> by the optional usb-hub-including Lenovo power supply.   An external
> keyboard was connected to that hub.
>
> We were asleep.  In the morning we found the machine with the disk
> access light on steadily, no display on the screen, the fan blowing
> hard, and no response to any keypress.  We rebooted it normally.
>
> We've now put the whole setup on a UPS, which should be redundant, given
> that the X220 is normally insensitive to transient power failures.  But
> evidently in combination with the USB hub/power supply, it's not
> redundant enough!

The issue seems to be power management being applied to the USB3 ports, see
if you can disable that in BIOS/EFI.

> Sep 22 22:54:05 localhost kernel: [1324507.243029] xhci_hcd 0000:0e:00.0: Timeout while waiting for address device command

Here.  Whatever it was, it tickled xhci-hcd the wrong way, and it went
bonkers.  So you'll also need a kernel update since this one is clearly
buggy...

Also, avoid any power management action that does processor hot(un)plug like
the plague, it is *not worth the pain*, and from the logs, the thinkpad
might be trying to do just that...

  Henrique Holschuh