Re: unhandled HKEY event 0x6040 when undocking a Thinkpad X220

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013, Luke Macken wrote:
> I get the following errors after undocking my Thinkpad X220. The laptop then
> gets *really* hot. Rebooting it then brings it back down to a normal
> temperature.
>
>     thinkpad_acpi: unknown possible thermal alarm or keyboard event received
>     thinkpad_acpi: unhandled HKEY event 0x6040
>     thinkpad_acpi: please report the conditions when this event happened to ibm-acpi-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>     thinkpad_acpi: EC reports that Thermal Table has changed
>     thinkpad_acpi: unknown possible thermal alarm or keyboard event received
>     thinkpad_acpi: unhandled HKEY event 0x6040
>     thinkpad_acpi: please report the conditions when this event happened to ibm-acpi-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>     thinkpad_acpi: undocked from hotplug port replicator

Ok.  These tell you a few things, but they're not thermal alarms. Event
0x6040 means it is unplugged from the AC.

Thermal table changes are a hint to userspace to change power profile, which
the Lenovo Windows driver uses for something unknown to me.

The "undocked from hotplug port replicator" is self-explanatory.

And the fact that it overheats means something REALLY isn't right, but it is
very unlikely to be related to thinkpad-acpi :-(   Possibly, something gets
stuck when you undock and starts wasting power like crazy (e.g. by hogging
the CPU).

  Henrique Holschuh