Re: IBM BIOS with ACPI v1.02 (1.0b) has an issue with 2.6 kernel

The basic idea behind my long complain (part 1 of original email) is simple.
Is it possible ACPI automaticaly disables a part of it's functionality if at boot time it finds in bios an old and "ugly"  ACPI v1.02 (1.0b) ? Here I mean only the IMPORTANT part of acpi functions such as reboot and poweroff?

I would understand issues with some acpi features not working on my old PC but reboot and poweroff should be rock!
There is no logical excuse why new 2.6 kernel cann't reboot PC that was just fine with 2.4
and that "foolish" idea frustrated many not only me.

As of part 2 of email. Henrique, thank you for an idea to play with boot options. Unfortunately acpi module and kernel-parameters.txt specifically are hard to see whole logical hearahi and navigate thru options list. The only path left "keep-trying-all". As as an example I found "boot=bios" works in my case, even it is not even mentioned in that doc. Thanks to google ;)

2011/9/24 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@xxxxxxxxxx>
On Sat, 17 Sep 2011, Viatcheslav Kochepasov wrote:
> Any support would be highly appreciated.

Heh, although this is called ibm-acpi, we really cather only to
thinkpads on this list.

> It seems that old version of IBM BIOS with ACPI v1.02 (1.0b) has an issue
> with linux x86 kernel 2.6.
> One may read it as linux x86 kernel 2.6.32 does not provide minimum support
> for old ACPI v1.02 (1.0b).

There are some kernel parameters that increase compatibility with very
old ACPI, but I don't know them from memory.

Anyway, you might find better help in the linux-acpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
mailing list.

> 2) reboot performs linux shutdown and hangs on message "Restarting system."

There are kernel parameters that change the reboot strategy as well.

> Is there any known compatibility issues and workaround to get kernel 2.6.32
> to do a reboot on old ACPI?

There are quite a number of those :-(

The kernel command-line parameters for 2.6.32 (which you have to supply
through the bootloader) are here:

http://repo.or.cz/w/linux-2.6.git/blob/22763c5cf3690a681551162c15d34d935308c8d7:/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

 Henrique Holschuh