Re: Duplicate key press events

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011, Richard Hughes wrote:
> [ 5079.277863] thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad BIOS 6MET81WW (1.41 ), EC 6MHT43WW-1.18
> [ 5079.277867] thinkpad_acpi: Lenovo ThinkPad T510, model 4384BR2

> > Do you have acpi_fakekeys or any other such crap loaded?  If you do,
> > kill it and check if the problem goes away, please.
>
> Nope, it's Fedora 15 without all the Ubuntu fakekey stuff. The event
> is coming from a thinkpad_acpi-generated input device for sure.

Ok.  Now we hunt down how the events are generated by the DSDT and SSDT and
check whether it is an ACPI firmware bug, or something we are not doing
right, or an EC bug.

If it is an EC bug or an ACPI firmware bug we cannot work around, we add an
event filter.  Otherwise, we can try to fix it in a better way.

> > BTW: dmidecode output, please.  And if your firmware is not the latest
> > (BIOS/UEFI/EC), please update it and check whether the problem goes away...
>
> I'm on 1.41, and the latest is 1.44 (I'm at a conference now, and
> can't update the BIOS right now). I can update this when I get home if
> you like in one weeks time. I'm also pretty sure most non-geeky people
> don't ever update the BIOS, and it should probably work without a BIOS
> update too.

Ok.  Let's do it this way, then:  please do a full acpi and dmidecode dump
of your current BIOS, gzip them (remove UUIDs/serial numbers) and send them
to us.  Then, update the BIOS and EC, and do the same.  That will help me do
a differential analysis if the update happens to fix the bug.

After I get both dumps, I will try to find out what we're doing wrong, if
anything, and come up with a solution.

BTW, latest firmware for your box is version 1.46: 6MET86WW/6MHT45WW

Changelog at:
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/6muj25uc.txt

There are important fixes if you can read between the lines of Lenovo
changelogs, but they are related to EC firmware bugs on the KBC emulation
and battery control.  You really ought to update, but the chances of it
fixing the double-event-reporting issues are low.  Those changelogs are very
incomplete.

As for requesting BIOS updates from users: on thinkpads, you _REALLY_ have
to update the firmware, because that's exactly what >95% of the users will
do (Windows ThinkVantage makes it _really_ easy and automatic).  Obviously
we _will_ try to work around any dangerous BIOS bugs regardless of them
being fixed in a BIOS update, but there are very good reasons for the
thinkpad driver to have a facilty to whitelist/blacklist firmwares and warn
the users that they need to update.

And I just found out that now the battery pack firmware can also be
upgraded. Joy.  I *REALLY* need to get myself a 510/520-series box:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS003186

"What is Battery Firmware Update Utility?

This battery firmware update utility fixes an issue where some batteries
indicate an incorrect full charge capacity value. Because of this error, the
amount of energy available for use is artificially low, decreasing the
amount of time the system can be used on battery. The fix is entirely
contained in the battery firmware update; there is no need to replace any
hardware for this problem.

The battery firmware update requires that a supporting Power Management
driver and BIOS are installed. Lenovo has bundled the necessary dependencies
and the battery firmware update into a common package. During the update,
the system may reboot, or be shut down."

Oh dear...  Well, let me warn everybody about this one.

  Henrique Holschuh