Re: fan speed for given temperatures

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Toralf Förster wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote at 15:14:31
> > On Sat, 26 Mar 2011, Toralf Förster wrote:
> > > Do I miss omething ?
> >
> > Run thinkpad-acpi with fan_control=0 (i.e. disable fan control), and check
> > if it gets back to normal.  If it does, I will help you track down whatever
> > in userspace is playing havok with your fan.
> That helped - thx.
> Seems that something from KDE/pm-utils is interacting with fan speed

Please load the driver like this:

modprobe thinkpad-acpi debug=0x8010 fan_control=1

The driver will output debug information about fan use, and also which PID
is asking it to modify fan parameters.  Please check if you can locate which
program has the PID it is complaining about...

> > What thinkpad is this?  Looks like an IBM or early Lenovo one, when they
> > still had thermal sensors (or didn't hide them, whatever)...   ACPI should
> > not be able to mess with the fan speed on those, unless it is done through
> > thinkpad-acpi...
> Right, it is a ThinkPad T400

Hmm?  I actually didn't expect the T400 to have many sensors. Good to know
:)

  Henrique Holschuh