Re: LenovoThinkPad T510 report

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010, sebib@xxxxxxx wrote:
> As I tried to get all my notebooks acpi-capabilities working I consulted the kernels documentation of the 'thinkpad-acpi'-kernel-module, which asks me to report to this mailinglist if I need the 'force_load=1' module-parameter to load it.

Please get the latest patch in ibm-acpi.sf.net, it should work with the
T510, and report back what works :-)

> /proc/acpi/ibm/video:
> {lcd,crt,dvi}_enable, {lcd,crt,dvi}_disable, video_switch and expand_toggle do nothing
> auto_enable and disable changes the value but i can not see that anything happens

Might be fixed in the ibm-acpi.sf.net release.  Not needed in your thinkpad
anyway, you should use RandR functionality in the X server.

> /etc/acpi/ibm/volume:
> 'mute' is reported correctly and i am able to mute by 'echo mute...'

Does it really honestly mutes, or does it just look like it muted?

> 'up'/'down'/'level <x>' take affect on the reported volume-level but not on the volume itself

Your thinkpad doesn't have up/down/level support, so that's expected.  The
driver is a bit confused because of the force_load thing :p

> /proc/acpi/ibm/cmos: nothing happens...
> /proc/acpi/ibm/beep seems not to work
> /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal: not present
> /proc/acpi/ibm/ecdump: not present

Won't work even in force mode in the version you tested.  Please re-test
using the release form ibm-acpi.sf.net.

> i have not tried to insert the module with 'fan_control=1' as this feature is marked as unsafe in the documentation, sorry.

It is unsafe as in "you do idiotic things with it, and it will fry your
thinkpad", therefore the driver requires your explicit permission before it
lets anything in userspace change the fan controller mode.

> /proc/acpi/ibm/wan:
> the led switches on/off, but the device seems to stay up/available. got no ap to test.

When it is working, it usually unplugs the WWAN device from the USB bus.

> Following buttons generate acpi-events:
> Fn-(F1-F8)
> Fn-(F11-F12)
> Fn-Space
> Fn-Home
> Fn-End

> Fn-Scroll
which event?

> mute-microphone-button
which event?

> (the bluetooth-module appears/disappears in 'lsusb', the led for bt and wlan switch on/off, but the wlan-device
> seems to stay up)

WLAN might stay up but have its radio blocked.  Depends on the quality of
the rf-kill Lenovo is using...

> Mail back to me if I there is anything else you need to know, excuse me if
> this does not matter at all.

Thanks.

  Henrique Holschuh