Re: ThinkPad Edge support

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Philipp Ittershagen wrote:
> I'm not doing the latest BIOS update by now, because I'm too scared
> to brick it and there is an ISO which I cannot use since the
> notebook lacks a CD drive. I have also wiped the windows partition,
> so I cannot use the update tool. Plus, the update does not fix
> anything for me. If I eventually update it, I will send the new
> information to you, though.

It is OK to not do it because you are scared, but do NOT trust that
censored changelog to tell you whether you should apply an update or
not.  Lenovo does not disclose a lot of the fixes done by an update.

The only updates you know for sure you can skip are the ones where they
explicitly say "only apply this one if the previous one gave you
trouble", and the ones issued to very old thinkpads where the only
changelog text is something like "add support for a new type of video
RAM chip".

That said, on most thinkpads an USB stick that can boot a CD ISO will
work just fine to run the updates.  If you ever decide to try it,
just ask around in the linux-thinkpad ML for help.

  Henrique Holschuh