ThinkPad X40 brightness

The latest kernel (2.6.31-rc5-git2) requests to send a report if
brightness works on a ThinkPad X40 with Intel 855GM, it reports it is
using brightness_mode=2

Not sure what needs to be tested, but the brightness keys work, but do
not cause any HAL events by default (so no OSD).

The brightness is reduced when switching to battery mode, and increased
again when plugged into the mains power.
Neither of these actions cause any messages in syslog, so this seems to
be completely hardware managed.

I checked /sys/devices/virtual/backlight/* and I can change the
brightness by putting a different value into brightness.
When pressing the brightness up/down buttons, the brightness file does
not change, but actual_brightness does.