Re: Volume control on T400

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009, Yang Zhe wrote:
> Thank you for your responce.
>
> Now let's focus on the mute key..

It is not a key.  It is a button that is entirely handled by the firmware
inside the embedded controller.

And you didn't tell me if the thinkpad-acpi driver does see changes in the
mute state properly, yet.  Please confirm that (but do NOT try to change the
volume, just check if the driver reports the mute state correctly, comparing
it with the mute led when you press the mute key, press it multiple times,
and also do mute/unmute cycles using mute and volume up/down).

> If I plugged a headphone, the mute key won't mute the sound in
> headphone, then the mute key is lack of functional..

So, it mutes only the speakers on hardware, and not speakers+headphone?

That's _bad_.

> So that I think it's better to send a keycode, or emulate a keycode
> against the mute bit.

That won't go down well, you need a mute _SWITCH_ to send absolute (mute)
and (unmute) events to do what you want properly, as keycodes can make the
mixer get out of sync with the firmware mute.

The problem is that KEY_MUTE is actually KEY_TOGGLEMUTE, so it cannot be
used to syncronize two systems with memory if one of them can receive
external events (and the HDA mixer _CAN_, you just need an external keyboard
with a mute key, or to open the mixer applet and mute/unmute directly).

How does mute and volume work in Windows?  How do they behave re. the
spearkeds?  re. the headphone?

  Henrique Holschuh