Re: X61 + 2.6.28.7 + thinkpad_acpi 0.21 - HAL hotkeys handling

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009, Ondrej Balaz wrote:
> just wanted to ask if exists HOWTO setup acpi hotkeys through new HAL
> interface. I'm still using acpid on X60s. But on my new X61 seems

No HowTos, but if you search the list archives for the linux-thinkpad ML,
you will find posts with examples.

The address of that list is in http://thinkwiki.org.   In fact, someone
might even have added a page to thinkwiki about it, so look around that
site, it is the *best* information site for Linux thinkpad users.

> Currently I have hotkeys working in X - when I press volume up/down I
> can see them in xev as XF86something and same for Fn+ combos. This is

Well, volume up/down is a sore point.  Either they work in hardware and you
should not mess with them otherwise you're doing weird things to the volume
control (in which case they CAN go through thinkpad-acpi, but it is the
wrong thing to do -- just leave the keys masked and let the firmware do its
job alone), or they do NOT work in hardware, and are sent as normal keys, in
which case thinkpad-acpi has NOTHING to do with them anyway :-)

You can get HAL to react to these keys either way.

> What I want is to generate HAL event for thinkpad-acpi key event and
> using halevt daemon react to it by launching ... bash script for
> example.

For regular ACPI events (not hotkeys), just configure actions in acpid, it
will handle them regardless of HAL or X.

For hotkeys that go through thinkpad-acpi, configure HAL to run the scripts,
it doesn't depend on X.org to work.

  Henrique Holschuh