Re: Avoid critical temp shutdowns on specific ThinkPad T4x(p) and R50p

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 02:33:22PM +0200, Thomas Renninger wrote:
> ---------------
> include/linux/thermal.h
> struct thermal_zone_device_ops {
> ..
> 	int (*get_temp) (struct thermal_zone_device *, char *);
> ..
> }

You're missing the cleanup patches for the thermal layer that I posted
at the same time.

> So Matthew's patch more looks like a suggestion/proof of concept patch.
> Another bug I saw by looking over this one:
> +			tz->ops->get_crit_temp(tz, &crit_temp);
> +			tz->force_passive_temp = crit_temp-5000;
> It must get checked whether a critical trip point exists at all.

Yes, the return value for get_crit_temp should be checked. I think 5
degrees is safe enough, though - I haven't been able to cause a system
to respond too quickly at that point. The polling frequency is increased
if the temperature gets within 5 degrees of the new passive trip point.

?

> If Matthew already has something newer it would be great if we could somehow
> coordinate work. Otherwise I will start over on this one. Probably beginning
> with a cleanup patch to use long for get_temp and get_trip_temp functions
> instead of using char* in struct thermal_zone_device_ops {...}.
> Zhang: Would that be ok or have I overseen something?

Like I said, that's already done.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx