Re: more backlight stuff, x61, kernel 2.6.26.1

On mer, 2008-08-06 at 20:07 -0400, Jim Paris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I upgraded to 2.6.26.1 and my X61 backlight (which has never really
> worked right) gave me more troubles than usual, so I started to try to
> track things down a little more, and found a mess that I'd like some
> help sorting out.

I assume your x61 works the same as my T61 intel.

The current status (aiui) is that, on 2.6.26 and previous, brightness
won't work in-kernel. The only solution I found was to use
gnome-power-manager and video.ko with parameter
brightness_switch_enabled. In this case, it seems to work fine.

But I tried some fully experimental stuff (linux-acpi-2.6 git + drm-2.6
+ patches), and I managed to have brightness keys working under X,
in-kernel. I don't know when all those patches will be mainline, but I
wouldn't assume before 2.6.28.

> - I'm loading ACPI video.ko too.  It generates hotkey events correctly:
>
>   video LCD0 00000086 00000000
>   video LCD0 00000087 00000000

Same here.

> - Bug: two backlight devices show up:
>     /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0
>     /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video1

Yes, that is fixed in linux-acpi-2.6 but it doesn't work either. As if
the wrong one was chosen. I needed the “opregion” patch from Matthew
Garret.

> - It seems that:
>
>   - Writing to acpi_video0/brightness changes actual_brightness for
>     both, but has no actual effect.
>
>   - Pressing hotkey buttons is the same as writing to
>     acpi_video0/brightness.
>
>   - Writing to acpi_video1/brightness changes actual_brightness for
>     only acpi_video1, and actually works.

Yes, acpi_video0 seems to be the “ghost” device for the discrete graphic
card.

> - Gnome-power-manager saw the hotkeys but didn't change the
>   backlight.

When using video.ko, you need the brightness_switch_enabled for the
event to be passed userspace. I'm not sure how they are passed since
wether or not brightness_switch_enabled is enabled (:) we see something
in /proc/acpi/events.

> - With hotkey-setup gone, I can make g-p-m work correctly by:
>     echo N > /sys/module/video/parameters/brightness_switch_enabled
>   This causes acpi_video1/actual_brightness to NOT change when I hit
>   hotkeys, so now g-p-m does the right thing (sees that it is
>   unchanged, and changes it.  Good!)

That's the correct thing to do when using gnome-power-manager.

>   It seems like this option should be unnecessary.  It's as if the
>   BIOS thinks it's changing the brightness but failing to do so.
>   Is this a DSDT bug maybe?  Or a bug in video.ko?

Yeah.

> - After all this, brightness mostly works.  There is still an issue with
>   plugging/unplugging the AC adapter.  In single-user-mode:
>
>   On AC:
>   # echo 0  > acpi_video1/brightness     # dark
>   # echo 15 > acpi_video1/brightness     # fully bright
>   Unplugged AC here                      # no change
>   # echo 15 > acpi_video1/brightness     # no change
>   # echo 0  > acpi_video1/brightness     # dark
>   # echo 15 > acpi_video1/brightness     # --HALF-- bright
>   Plugged AC here                        # no change
>   # echo 15 > acpi_video1/brightness     # no change
>   # echo 0  > acpi_video1/brightness     # dark
>   # echo 15 > acpi_video1/brightness     # fully bright
>
>   Basically removing the AC adapter reduces the available brightness
>   range, BUT doesn't take effect until I actually try to change the
>   brightness.

Check first in your bios the options for that.

>   I don't know what should change the brightness in this case.
>   I could add an ACPI hook, but I'd need something like:
>
>   b=$(((`cat acpi_video1/brightness` + 8) % 16))
>   echo $(($b + 1) % 16)) > acpi_video1/brightness
>   echo $b > acpi_video1/brightness
>
>   to ensure that the value actually gets changed, which just seems
>   like a hack.
>

> By the way, the Debian package "acpi-support" also sets up a
> modprobe.d file containing:
>   options thinkpad_acpi hotkey=enable,0xffffbf experimental=1
> which I have removed.  Another broken userspace package?
> Apparently this file was placed here to fix problems on someone's
> x60; this whole setup is so complicated it seems like it would
> be an endless problem of fixing one laptop by breaking another.

I guess it'd be nice if you could file bugs saying a package shouldn't
mess with hotkey.

Cheers,

--
Yves-Alexis