Re: X300 ThinkVantage key

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008, Chris Jones wrote:
> I've made fairly good progress with getting the X300 to work, so I'm
> getting down to some of the little things that would be nice to have,
> but aren't vital.
>
> One of those is the ThinkVantage button:
>    * I don't get a key event from it
>    * /proc/acpi/ibm/led is unable to control the blue LED that's in the
> X300's thinkvantage button

Ok, so let's do it the proper way.

1. FORGET any tests with X running. I mean it.  Do it in single-user
mode, or at least in console mode.  And "HAL" could confuse things as
well.

2. To know if the keyboard is getting something, you will need to use
the lsinput and input-events tools.  Use lsinput to find the keyboard,
and input-events to see if a key reports any events.

If typing on the keyboard produces no input-event output, it means you
got the wrong input device, OR that some crap is stealing the events.
Go single-user in that case :-)

Please report back the keyboard input events you get for any special
keys.  Typically you should get them for the volume up/down keys at the
very least.  If you do, check what happens when mute is pressed, and
when each volume key is pressed with MUTE active.

> the key event thing is a bit strange - there is an acpi event, which is
> calling acpi_fakekey 148, but that somehow never makes it to X.

To test thinkpad ACPI events properly:

1. Go to single user mode
2. Load up thinkpad-acpi
3. Load up acpid
4. Use acpi-events to check any events produced.

If none are produced, either it is not an ACPI event, or the kernel
doesn't know about a new ACPI node that needs event handling.

You can find ACPI nodes that can have events on them by hunting down for
"notify" commands on the ACPI DSDT and SSDTs code for the X300.

You get the DSDT and SSDTs using acpidump, and acpixtract can be used to
split the acpidump output into the binary representations of the DSDT
and SSDTs.

You get the AML source code from the binary output of acpixtract by
using the Intel "iasl" command, with the -d switch.

> 0 - power button (yes, this really does have an LED in it)

Cute.  Does it still have the "circle with a slanted Z inside it" LED
that used to be the power LED?

> and other than the thinkvantage, I don't think there are any others that
> should be controlled. There is an orange LED in the mute button, but
> that seems to be controlled entirely by the hardware.

Heh.  We will find that mute mixer yet.  It is what is giving us trouble
in the X61 and T61 too.

  Henrique Holschuh