Re: thinkpad-acpi release 0.18-20071203 uploaded to ibm-acpi.sf.net

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> > Please don't use -rc1, but rather Linus' latest.  It is *much* safer to
> > always use the latest when tracking -rc, and to upgrade often (once a day or
> > so).
>
> Well, yeah, but I get rc's only for better backlight support so if the changes
> don't concern acpi, backlight or so, I don't really need it ;)  If I track git
> should I track yours with thinkpad-acpi most recent stuff or Linus's with most
> recent stuff except thinkpad-acpi?

You could get mine, then merge Linus' on top of it once a day.  That would
work fine.  However, due to my use of stgit, when I release a new tree,
you'll have to start over (get mine, merge your stuff on top of it, merge
Linus' on top of the result, etc) because stgit means a git rebase, and that
screws up continuous merges from my trees.

Sorry about that, but stgit is all that is keeping me sane with six or seven
trees to take care of :)

I will try to not rebase the release/2.6.25 branch for trivial reasons, but
if anything touching thinkpad-acpi gets merged by Linus, or a new -rc is
tagged, I will rebase it.

> > > What will 2.6.24.2 plus thinkpad-acpi 0.19 20080213 improves on this?
> >
> > It will be the same, but you won't have to load video.c to get the LCD ACPI
> > events.  That said, please test the thinkpad-acpi backlight device to check
> > if it is still working, and that it still gives you 16 brightness levels.
>
> Ok, I'll do that. But is it a good idea not to load video.c at all?

If you are not using anything from it, you don't need it loaded :p  And with
the new thinkpad-acpi and xbacklight native mode, you should not need
video.c for anything...

> > If you could post the thinkpad-acpi debug output to me (compile with
> > thinkpad-acpi debug mode enabled, and load it with the debug=0xffff
> > parameter), it would be helpful as well.  Just the output when you modprobe
> > it is enough.
>
> I'll do that. Do you want it with 2.6.24.2+thinkpad-acpi,
> 2.6.25-rc1+thinkpad-acpi or both?

Either one is fine. Whatever is easiest for you.

  Henrique Holschuh