Mute button software notification broken after v0.14 for Thinkpad T61

I've seen someone post this on the list and I recently did thorough testing.

The issue is that the mute button cannot notify software (in my case
Gnome) that it has been pressed. But it still mutes the volume.

This was blamed on Lenovo firmware but this is not the case. It is
thinkpad-acpi that appears to be at fault.

System:
        Thinkpad T61
        Vendor: LENOVO
        Firmware Version: 7LETA7WW (2.07)
        EC Version: 1.08

        Ubuntu Hardy build

Here are my test results (These are kernel.org kernels):

kernel 2.6.22.15 (w/ thinkpad-acpi v0.14) = Works great Gnome can see
mute button pressed

kernel 2.6.23.13 (w/ thinkpad-acpi v0.16) = Gnome does NOT see mute is pressed
                                                               Mute
button is not recogonized when try to

associate it with a keyboard action
                                                               using
gnome-keybing-properties

kernel 2.6.24-rc7 (w/ thinkpad-acpi v0.17) = Gnome does NOT see mute is pressed
                                                               Mute
button is not recogonized when try to

associate it with a keyboard action
                                                                using
gnome-keybing-properties

* had to install Alsa 0.15 with 2.6.22.15 test since drivers needed
not included with the kernel

I first noticed this as it worked fine in Ubuntu Gutsy (which is based
on 2.6.22). But when I moved to the Hardy builds (using 2.6.24) all of
a sudden it didn't work. I am using the same firmware in all cases.

It's either thinkpad-acpi at fault or the acpi subsytem in newer kernels.

I can do more testing later to see if v0.15 displays the issue, then
can narrow down what patch broke this.