Re: ACPI: thinkpad-acpi: make the input event mode the default

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 07:08:01PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > > Right now, the hotkey functionality of the driver is not terribly useful
> > > without (bleeding-edge) userspace. This is inconsistent with the
> > > majority of input drivers which do something broadly sane in that
> > > situation.
> >
> > It works better with non-bleeding-edge userspace the way I did it, as far as
> > I know. So I'll need some explanations about what I should be doing
> > differently.
> >
> > Here's my view on things:
> >
> > Non-bleeding-edge userspace screws up volume control if I send events.  And
> > so does bleeding-edge userspace for that matter, AFAIK.
>
> No, it doesn't. It interacts in a way that you may not consider to be
> ideal - the vast majority of our users appear to prefer it to the
> previous behaviour, so it's better than nothing.

I don't go for "better than nothing", when there is a way to have it right
(and there is: an alsa mixer, or an extension to the input layer).

> > Non-bleeding-edge userspace screws up brightness control if I send events.
>
> No. Nothing will screw up if you send brightness events.

It can, if it feed backs a brightness up order to the kernel, either
through thinkpad-acpi, or through the ACPI video driver at the wrong time
(before the thinkpad firmware did it).  And before you think the firmware
might be doing something sane for a change, I've had reports of more than
half-a-second delay on a X60s without the latest EC between a brightness
change order, and the hardware responding to it.

A bad feedback will either increase brightness once with two writes (waste
of resources, but the user won't notice, and I hope the thinkpad hardware is
not so crappy as to bother the inverter in this case), increase twice, or
cause a loop (got a report, don't know how it happened, but I *do* know the
code has no defense --yet-- against such a loop) that makes it increase the
brightness all the way up or all the way down until you press some other key
that disturbs the loop.

I actually prefer Lenovo's idea of not handling brightness up/down in
firmware anymore, and just reporting the keys...

> > Bleeding-edge userspace needs to be told it exists, anyway, to make proper
> > use of it, and can be told to enable it on the driver while at it.
>
> We've been listening for KEY_BRIGHTNESS* on Thinkpads for over a year.
> It's already implemented and works fine.

If everything did it right, I would have never heard of it.  Note that I am
not accusing HAL of breakage, I am talking about *userspace*.  I am *not*
sure if hal is what broke it, and, if it indeed was hal, whether it was new
enough.  I am sure bleeding-edge hal does something sensible for brightness,
and I have no reasons not to believe you that one-year-old hal will do
something wrong, either.  But there is other userspace, AND much older hal.

> > Non-bleeding-edge userspace that is not broken can remap keys already.
> > FN+F1 generating KEY_FN_F1 makes a lot more sense to someone which has a
> > blank FN+F1 key, than it generating "KEY_FOOBAR".
>
> That's fine. Send KEY_FN_F1 if there's no label.

Isn't that what I am doing right now?  That's why I asked you which key
codes I was missing when you complained about it. I really don't know of
any.

> > So exactly what should I be changing to make it more useful?  WHAT hot keys
> > do you want mapped by default, and to which key codes?  And forget the ones
> > that need passive handling, these are not mapped for a very different
> > reason.
>
> On a machine with a glyph, the driver should generate a keycode
> appropriate for that glyph.

It already does so for every key with a glyph that requires active handling
AND which is present on most thinkpads AND for which I could find a sensible
keycode.

Oh, I miss an undock/eject generic device keycode, too.  Can't use EJECTCD
to undock...

Again, what you want me to change in that default key code matrix that is
not a passive-action key?  I aimed to do the best I could according to the
info I have (http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Default_meanings_of_special_keys).

  Henrique Holschuh