Re: ACPI: thinkpad-acpi: react to Lenovo ThinkPad differences in hot key

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 05:17:12PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> Life would be significantly easier if I could convey that information in the
> kernel.  Since I cannot, I effectively consider these keys to be "defective"
> as far as the regular input device events are supposed to mean, and I don't
> generate events for them.

Any userspace application that can do anything with brightness keys
needs to know how to speak to that specific hardware /anyway/ - on some
machines that may be calling a userspace application, on others using an
interface in /sys/class/backlight, on others calling out to X. There's
no way to automatically make that decision, so it's fine to insist that
they also take into account whether it's active or passive.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx