Re: Anything against a new EV_SW SW_RADIO event ?

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Sunday 24 June 2007 06:55, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Could you ACK the attached patch?  I am about to send in code that would
> > benefit a damn great deal from it (thinkpad-acpi support for the
> > T60/X60/newer radio-kill slider switch)...  So I thought it would be best to
> > check with you first if I can have an EV_SW SW_RADIO...
>
> Adding SW_RADIO would be fine. My only question is if SW_ARDIO is enough or
> if we would need SW_WIFI/SW_BLUETOOTH/SW_ETC down the road...

I will add an ACK from you to the EV_SW SW_RADIO patch, then.

As for a rabbit-breeding of radio switches, well, that should not happen on
ThinkPads, at least.  They might have other types of switches (on the
docks), but I don't see a risk of SW_WIFI/SW_BLUETOOTH ever happening
there... or in any other normal laptop, the regulations ask for a way to
kill *all* radios on airplanes and explosive atmosphere areas, and they're
the reason for the switches.

The thinkpad radio hot key (not the switch) may be bluetooth-only in
firmware, but it is supposed to be overriden by any O.S. with a driver, and
the "reference" usercase for it (IBM/Lenovo's ThinkVantage suite) offers to
switch on/off all radios or to apply a given radio profile, etc.  I.e. the
key is used as an application launch key.  Again, the trend is not for
separate radio-type switches or keys, there.

I'd say we should cross the multiple radio-types bridge if we ever happen
upon it, but not to waste much brain resources over it at this time.  And it
still looks like we'd need a generic radio switch anyway, that all radio
types are to obey...

  Henrique Holschuh