Re: nvram polling for hardware mixer

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 10:05 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > > I have a patch that fixes and documents the whole stuff almost ready, it
> > > will be pushed to the git tree soon.
> >
> > So, we still use a hardware mixer? That still makes most sense from my
> > point of view as the events are still hardware.
>
> Yes, we will still get an ALSA mixer, it is the proper way to interface to
> a mixer, anyway.  Only now I know how to get interrupts to know when
> something changes the mixer :-p

Yes, <sarcasm>although I still like the polling approach</sarcasm> :-)

> Should I filter out the volume up/down and mute hotkeys in the driver, if
> the mixer is open?  Right now, the patch allows userspace to remap them to
> real keycodes, although it defaults to a very sane KEY_RESERVED.  It would
> be easy enough to never ever generate these keycodes.

It's a hardware mixer we are talking to via ALSA, so yes, I think hide
these events - it's not like you can remap them to KEY_EMAIL as they are
tied to the hardware.

> I *really* don't want to see those keys mapped to something that would go
> and increase the AC97/HDA mixer volume up, etc... btw.  and I *bet* that's
> just the kind of stupidity people would pull off (because they have already
> done it in the past numerous times).  HAL guys won't do it, I documented it
> properly to be sure of it, and I trust them to read docs.  But what about
> the authors of the typical "thinkpad helper" crapp or crapplet?  Or should I
> just ignore their existence, and let them break things for the unaware user,
> if they want to?

I'm going on a rampage of killing system daemons that talk to one type
of hardware. Leave those to me.

> > > BTW, I also got events for the LID switch on the same code path in a T43,
> > > now.  I will be adding EV_SW to thinkpad-acpi soon :p
> >
> > Okay cool. Could you give me a sneak peek at the patch, so I can try it
> > on my x60?
>
> It is in the git tree, in the same input branch you used before.

Brilliant, I'll try it out this afternoon. Thanks for your help with
this, I really owe you a couple of beers.

Richard.