Re: nvram keys to userspace

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 10:10 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> The plan is to get all hotkeys sent to userspace through INPUT, using a
> "hotkey fX" or something equally generic.  I can't translate from fn+f3 to
> fn+battery, as that's model specific knowledge.

So you don't want to do any dmi-based matching in thinkpad_acpi at all?
When the dmi kernel class is upstream this could be pretty easy,
although I don't mind doing it in userspace with a keymap.

> > Sure, I totally understand. The primary reason I want the status of
> > these (hw) buttons is to integrate them with gnome OSD for stuff like
> > gnome-session and that sort of thing, rather than rely on XOSD like
> > before. There's also some other buttons I want to be able to map to
> > arbitrary stuff, like the 'thinkpad' button. The main problem is the
> > reporting is that some has to be passive "volume has been turned up"
> > rather than active "please turn volume up" - but I still think we can do
> > this with INPUT.
>
> Yes, we can.  But maybe you could just monitor the forthcoming thinkpad ALSA
> mixer for the hardware state, instead?  You would be monitoring the
> *effects* and not the cause, which is actually a good thing.

Yes, you're completely correct.

> And it doesn't
> mean we can't monitor the keys too, since there are other keys that need
> monitoring anyway.

Sure, web keys and that sort of thing.

> But it is not a good idea to issue volume up/down/mute INPUT events for
> those keys (unless that too is optional), these events are typically active
> ones from multimedia keyboards.  It will cause trouble.  We will need other
> events.

Sure.

> Well, worse come to worst, we can send them over ACPI.

Ick :-)

> > > It has to be optional, and it needs to support all tpb-like keys.  Other
> > > than that, yes, it might be acceptable.
> >
> > Sure. Has anybody else looked at INPUT on thinkpad_acpi, or would you
> > like me to just in and start coding? I think converting the hotkeys to
> > INPUT would be my first task, and then working on NVRAM hardware keys
> > when the first stuff is merged.
>
> If you send me code, it will speed up adoption.

Okay, I'll spend a few hours on it tonight, and see what I can come up
with.

> This doesn't mean I promise
> to take the patch as is, of course, but I think that functionality is a good
> idea.

Of course!

> > I really don't want to add yet another daemon that polls stuff and mucks
> > about with acpi keys when we can do this properly (IMO) in the kernel.
>
> I hate the idea of any extra polling.  We need proper interfaces with unix
> fd semanthics that you can poll() and select() on in sysfs.

I'm glad we agree. I'll get hacking now. Many thanks for your help with
this.

Richard.