Re: [GIT PULL] rename ibm-acpi driver to thinkpad-acpi

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Len Brown wrote:
> I'm glad you're using git, it formats the patches perfectly.
> But, I'll probably always apply the plain patches instead of pulling
> from your tree.  This is because i reserve the right to re-write history
> of my test branch to suite my own needs, and I don't want to pull
> back duplicate history from somebody that pulled acpi-test.

THAT is why I never base any of the "for-upstream" patches on acpi-test or
acpi-release.  I have screwed that up just once: the very first time I sent
you a "please pull" request, and you explained to me why it caused you
problems to have it based on acpi-test or acpi-release.

Since then, I have been basing everything on linus' tree, tipically on the
latest -rc.  And I always warn in the "please pull" email if I have to base
it on something from linus that is newer than your "linus" checkpoint (this
happened only once, so far).

I also keep the "for-upstream" branches around until the stuff in them gets
merged by Linus, and I keep them incremental-git-pull-friendly, unless I
have to change one of the patches (e.g. to make sure the tree they produce
is byte-to-byte identical to what you have commited to acpi-test).

You will get from me only clean history (unless I screw up, of course).  My
workflow is clean-history-aware, and relies extensively on stgit.  I never
have dirty history anywhere but in my "compile and run" kernel test tree (I
keep it on a separate git repository to avoid any possible mistakes).

But if you prefer to apply the email patches, well, the trees for "upstream
pull" will still be needed since I use them to triple-check everything is
clean before a git send-email run... so it basically ammounts to the same
effort to me to just send patches, just send a pull request, or to send
both.  Therefore, I will keep sending both for now, just in case it ends up
being useful.

  Henrique Holschuh