Future directions for ibm-acpi, and a rfc

Well, 2.6.20 is gold and most of the stuff that is really important has been
merged.

The current queue for 2.6.21 is in git, and it contains:

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh (1):
      ACPI: ibm-acpi: cleanup init and exit paths
Theodore Ts'o (1):
      ACPI: ibm-acpi: add Ultrabay support for the T60p ThinkPad

Theodore's patch is already in the sf.net ibm-acpi releases.

My current work is:
	1. Port ibm-acpi to be a platform driver
	2. Add sysfs interface to /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad
	3. Deprecate and make /proc/acpi/ibm interface optional

My current slow-burner work is:
	1. Add monitoring kernel thread
	2. Monitor the fan using that thread, detect tachometer and
	   fan quirks automatically using the thread

Upstream requested that ibm-acpi be moved out of drivers/acpi into
drivers/misc in a future date.  I intend to do so after I finish the
platform driver work.

Also, with the whole Lenovo deal, I am wondering if ibm-acpi should not be
renamed to something else with either "tp" or "thinkpad" in the name.
Suggestions?  I would prefer to rename the driver when the move to
drivers/misc happens, so we should think of a new name as soon as possible.

I would appreciate comments about how the sysfs interface should look like.
Please remember that it *has* to be as close to what a hwmon device would
provide as possible.

I don't like the idea of using "ibm" for the sysfs directory at all, I'd
rather use "thinkpad" or something else.  Ideas?   I am going with
"thinkpad" for now.

The /proc interface is effectively frozen and won't be updated any further
except for bug fixes. It will remain at /proc/acpi/ibm until either
/proc/acpi is history, or a deprecation period of one year (after hitting
mainline) passes.

  Henrique Holschuh