Re: IBM-ACPI (or a feature of it) gets EC to hang or EC broken?

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007, Thomas Gruber wrote:
> I am using a T42 since one year now. Since 2 or 3 months or so (after i
> upgraded my bios and EC i think), the fan of my notebook began to act
> weird: Sometimes it acts just normal (starts at 55 degrees, goes up to
> 3500~4000 RPM on 60 degrees or so, and keeps my notebook below or at 65
> degrees till the load drops) Most of the time, the fan turns on and stays
> at ~2200 RPM (according to ibm-acpi readings). the fan also does NOT go
> faster, when the temperature raises. Under load the Temperature just keeps
> raising beyond 80 degrees (i did not want to heat it up further).

Yikes.  Which version of ibm-acpi?  Did you try it with the latest ibm-acpi
patches (0.13-20061231)?   Try removing the kernel ACPI FAN module, does it
fix the problem?  Compile your kernel with something older than gcc 4.1 if
you're using gcc 4.1, btw.

If you engage "fan disengaged mode" when the fan is stuck at 2200 RPM, does
it go faster?

> Furthermore, sometimes the fan cannot be read by ibm-acpi although the fan
> is running (i took of the KB to see if it is) Also IF ibm-acpi is reading

This either means the EC is having trouble reading the fan speed (which,
given the closed control loop, might explain all sort of weird problems), or
that something is interferring with ibm-acpi, ACPI, or the EC itself.

If replacing that fan is easy for you (i.e. your thinkpad is still under
warranty), go for it.

> Has anyone of you experienced something similar, and knows a solution
> (besides sending the notebook back to IBM) to solve this?

I'd recommend also asking this at the linux-thinkpad ML and also on
forums.thinkpads.com. It is certainly the first time I hear of it...

  Henrique Holschuh