Re: PSA: migrating linux-hotplug to new vger infrastructure

On Mon, Nov 6, 2023 at 5:44 AM Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think the list can just be deleted, there's no traffic anymore, and
> "hotplug" doesn't make any sense anymore as "everything" can be
> added/removed from a Linux system these days.
>
> So can we just remove it?
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Hi Greg,

I was curious about your comment regarding "everything". Is it
possible to dynamically add/remove entire I/O sub-trees on the PCIe
side? In other words, can a PCIe bridge, and all associated
sub-branches be dynamically added/removed? If so, is there special
BIOS support required for possibly reserving adequate MMIO address
space?

Thanks,
Eric