Fwd: /lib/udev/pcmcia-socket-startup makes 32-bit Linux crash hard

Porteus 3.1 uses kernel 3.17.4.

64-bit Porteus 3.1 works fine on an NEC VF-6.

32-bit Porteus 3.1 hangs in udev during boot.  It's not a 120-second
delay for udevadm settle, it's a hard crash which doesn't even display
an oops in text mode, doesn't even flash two keyboard lamps, and
doesn't even respond to the Caps Lock or Num Lock keys or
Ctrl+Alt+Delete.  It needs a press of the power button.

It appears that the particular device is highly relevant:
0a:01.0 CardBus bridge [0607]: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II [1180:0476] (rev b6)
 Subsystem: NEC Corporation Device [1033:88ec]
 Kernel driver in use: yenta_cardbus
 Kernel modules: yenta_socket

I tested two other PCs with pcmcia slots made by different manufacturers.
One was cardbus only, and had no problem.
One was cardbus + 16-bit pcmcia, and had no problem, not made by Ricoh.
So the particular Ricoh controller looks relevant.

In /lib/udev/rules.d/60-pcmcia.rules I commented out these two lines:
SUBSYSTEM=="pcmcia_socket", \
  RUN+="/lib/udev/pcmcia-socket-startup"
After commenting them out, Linux boots with no problem.

Sorry to repeat for the nth time, but 64-bit Linux doesn't have this probem
but 32-bit Linux's version of pcmcia-socket-startup kills the kernel hard
on this very same PC.

In a separate message I'll discuss two intermittent problems when a 16-bit
pcmcia card is actually used.  But these won't affect many people because
no one, not even me, uses a 16-bit pcmcia card for anything other than testing.