Re: A question about hotplug and suspend-resume functionallity

On Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 05:02:57PM +0000, Igor Bezukh wrote:
> Hi,
>

> We are testing Intel Gigabit adapter driver (igb) under Fedora 20, kernel 3.14.4 for the following use-case:
>
> (*) Adapter is connected to the PCIE slot
> (*) We put the system under suspend by running pm-suspend from user-space
> (*) Remove the adapter from the PCIE slot
> (*) Wake up the system
>
> Currently, we got kernel panics and the system gets stuck.

Not good, have you sent the kernel panic to the netdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
mailing list and cc:ed the driver authors?

> My questions are -
> 1) in order to support hot-unplugging in igb driver, should I implement the check of device presence in igb_resume
> function?
>
> 2) After the system wakes up, I see in dmesg that the PCI device function igb refuses to change power state and remains in PCI power state D3.
>      can I assume that after suspend-resume if the function remains in D3 and refuses to move to D1 then hot-unplug event has occured?

These questions would be best acked on the above list, the developers
there should be able to help you out.

good luck,

greg k-h