Re: Forking pciehp

On Thu, Oct 03, 2013 at 12:24:48AM -0700, Shiro Itou 伊東 wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> We make some product specific change to "pciehp" and want to give
> modified "pciehp" with our product to customer. I read GPL and I see
> that we have to add change log in license header.

Who is "we"?

And secondly, for all legal questions, please consult a lawyer for your
company, they are the best to answer these questions, not random
developers on a public mailing list.

And no, the GPL does not say you have to add a changelog to the license
header.

> Should we or can we change module author to our company name? Now I
> see many authors, Greg, IBM, Intel etc. in pciehp code. Or we have to
> add our company with other names?

No, no need to change the author, just know about the copyrights of the
other companies and authors and deal with it properly as per copyright
law.

> Can we change driver version?

What did you change?  Why not just post your change as a patch and get
it accepted upstream properly for everyone to then use?

Please read the kernel files, Documentation/SubmittingPatches and
Documentation/development-model/ for how kernel development works.

> Is code has to be opensource?

Yes of course, you can not change the license of the file, or the Linux
kernel, why would you think otherwise?

> If yes, then where to keep the source code? Is our company website ok
> or public source website?

That is up to you.

> I tried to get information other place about GPL but not get wanted
> information.

Where did you look, there is lots of public information out there.

But again, you should always ask lawyers about legal things, not
programmers.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h