Re: systemd 183, boot problem

On Sun, 27 May 2012, Kay Sievers wrote:

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Allin Cottrell <cottrell@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I just tried updating from systemd 44 + udev 182. On booting I saw:

"Could not find module by name='<binary-garbage>'"
(That is, no readable module name)

"Failed to insert ipv6"

"Cannot create mount unit for API file system /sys/kernel/security.
Refusing."

I was then dumped into emergency mode. Grubbing through the source I saw
that /sys/kernel/security is needed by IMA, so I reconfigured systemd-183
with --disable-ima, rebuilt, reinstalled and rebooted. That didn't help; I
landed in emergency mode again. So I ended up reinstalling 44 + 182;
fortunately that gave me back a usable system.

I think the new securityfs requirement ought to be mentioned in NEWS, and
made conditional on enabling IMA.

I don't have securityfs enabled in the kernel and it works fine here.

Before seeing your mail I tried commenting out the securityfs requirement in the source, rebuilding and rebooting. That didn't fix the issue (still got emergency mode) so, yes, absence of securityfs is not the blocker. Then is absence of ipv6 the issue? (Or why isn't systemd 183 telling me why it's refusing to start normally?)

One thing I noted was that the broken "could not find module by name" message comes from libkmod (kmod8). Apparently when it has received a request from systemd for the (non-existent) ipv6 module.

Allin Cottrell