Re: systemd 183 and /lib/udev/devices/

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Allin Cottrell <cottrell@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I see in the NEWS file:
>
> "udev: /lib/udev/devices/ are not read anymore; systemd-tmpfiles should be
> used to create dead device nodes as workarounds for broken subsystems."
>
> What sort of "broken subsystems" are we talking about here?

The only one still known is the parport driver, where cups might rely
on module-autoloading by accessing of /dev/lp0.

There are around 3 users in the world which need that. :)

> I'm currently
> running systemd 44 and udev 182 (without init scripts) and I have "pts" and
> "shm" under /lib/udev/devices/. There's no reference to /dev/pts or /dev/shm
> in fstab, but at run time /dev/pts is populated and there's a tmpfs mounted
> on /dev/shm. How can I tell whether I need the systemd-tmpfiles workaround?

How can you run udev without an init script? It's usually 2-3 steps to
bring it up. What mounts devpts and the /dev/shm tmpfs? The same thing
that calls mount should just also do the mkdir before the mount.

We decided against putting device nodes anywhere else than /dev, so
the functionality was removed. If you want the whole
/lib/udev/devices/ functionality back, one line like "cp -ax
/lib/udev/devices/* /dev" should do it.

In the future, tools are expected to use tmpfiles to create things
like the /dev/lp0 stuff. The tmpfiles are used to properly set up
directories, files, file content with the proper permissions in
volatile filesystems like /dev, /run (/var/run), /tmp, /sys. It can
also be used to create device nodes.

Kay