Re: /dev/shm and /dev/pts not been created by devtmpfs or udev

On 04/18/12 10:37, Kay Sievers wrote:
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 14:41, F. Heitkamp<heitkamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
I am using kernel 3.3.2 and udev 182.
I have TMPFS, DEVTMPFS, DEVTMPFS_MOUNT and SHMEN all yes.

However after the machine boots there is no /dev/shm or /dev/pts in the
/dev/ directory and udev does not create them even though they are in the
/usr/libexec/udev/devices directory.
Udev uses /lib/udev/. never libexec/, (/usr)/lib/udev/ is a de-facto
API and should not be changed.

"strace udevd" might show what goes wrong on your box.

Kay

Sorry.  The devices directory is "/lib/udev/devices".

udev seems to be mostly working AFAICT. When I plug/unplug USB or firewire, I can see events being processed with udevadm monitor.

There is no shm or pts directory shown in /proc/devices.  Should there be?

There is also lots of information in the /run directory tree.

Fred