Re: udev and existing /dev (devtmpfs)

On 01/23/2012 06:00 PM, Kay Sievers wrote:
On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 17:41, Gabor Z. Papp<gzp@xxxxxxx>  wrote:

It was always 'add' which was suggested. It was the default action,
but it was changed to 'change' because 'add' must not be used anywhere
else than once after bootup.

Triggering 'change' has some valid use cases, not many though, and
most of them are workarounds for broken things.

Settle is only needed to block until broken subsystems catch up with
reality during bootup, and with reality how hotplug systems work
today. It is not pulled-in for systems which do not run broken or
legacy tools.

Yes, that changed May 2010 with udev 154.

I just upgraded to udev-181 and the issue still is there. I believe the /dev/mapper/ nodes are created by kernel's devtmpfs but the /dev/dm-* are created by cryptsetup and lvm running in initramfs where is no udev running. Even if I umount devtmpfs on initramfs level and let udev mount it again, the changes will be still there. (I do mount --move to /newroot/dev). Maybe the 'action=add' should care about already-created nodes as well?

-- Piotr.