Re: udev 177 and echo gina3g sound card.

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 23:56, F. Heitkamp <heitkamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have been trying udev 177.
>
> My system is basically a linux from scratch like system.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Fred
>
> bash-4.2$ uname -a
> Linux pc1lin 3.2.0-rt10 #2 SMP Fri Jan 13 06:16:51 EST 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Udev seems to mostly work properly however the firmware for the Echo Gina3g
> PCI card will not load.
> The card firmware loaded properly with older udev versions and also works
> with Debian unstable on another drive.

My guess it's that this is another driver that calls
request_firmware() in the module_init() path, which is a kernel bug
that needs to be fixed. No driver must depend on calling out to
userspace while linking the module into the kernel.

Udev 176+ enforces strict event order. Here is an explanation in
detail for some netdev drivers which cause problems now:
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.network/217729/focus=83956

Kay