Re: udev 177 and kmod3

Hi Bruce,

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> udev-177 appears to require kmod3, yet the kmod3 announcement says:
>
> "I'd not say distros could start shipping
> kmod instead of module-init-tools yet."
>
> There appears to be a miscommunication here.

There isn't.

If udev doesn't care about kmod's man pages, then it's good to start
using libkmod. For the udev's use cases, libkmod is pretty complete.
It can be installed in parallel to module-init-tools too if distros
don't seem confident to make a step further and replace it.

So far Archlinux seems to be the first one. kmod is in their testing
repo and they helped us a lot to fix some bugs. Then I'd say kmod 4
will be ready enough for distros.

regards,
Lucas De Marchi