Re: Minimum kernel version requirement

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 16:13, Tom Gundersen <teg@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> In Arch (and, as far as I understand, also in Debian) we are
> interested in making the latest udev work with the latest LTS kernel
> (currently 2.6.32.51). However, the minimum requirement in udev's
> README is currently listed as 2.6.34 (bumped from .32 last year). On
> IRC Kay mentioned that the reason for this is some bugs in devtmpfs in
> 2.6.32.y. Could anyone provide any more details on what fixes are
> missing?

The bump has no hard dependency. It's devtmpfs in general which got
fixes, the 'devname' static module-load stuff, things like the
in-kernel media-presence polling which udev manages, and some
architectures which have broken syscall implementations which only got
fixed later in .34.

Only the broken syscall stuff will prevent udev from brining up these
old kernels, the rest will only cause some minor details not to work
as expected, but I guess, it's all that can be worked around.

You can only find out yourself, by testing it. I have no good idea
what in detail works and what not, because I never run 2+ years old
kernels on latest userspace. We all only support running new kernels
on old distros and not really the other way around.

I really think old distros should just update the kernel too, it is
much easier than upgrading individual components. Or if that is not
possible, check if the versions in the enterprise distros of these
tools match; these are well supported old versions of these
components. Trying to mix base system tools and hope they work, while
they are years apart from each other, putting then on top of old
kernels doesn't sound like the best idea.

Linux is really under heavy development in this area, and it's still
ongoing, and changes are pretty hard to track over years.

Kay