Trying to determine if udev can be used to manage network interfaces.

I'm trying to determine if udev can be used to manage the insertion
and removal an active network connection rather than using ifplugd or
such.

The board is currently running Linux 3.1 and I have verified Linux
config options per the udev README file.

"udevadm monitor" shows no uevents when the cable is inserted and
removed.  Is there sometime that needs to be enabled?

"udevadm info -a -p /sys/class/net/eth0" shows the following with
values for carrier, operstate and such changing appropriately.

  looking at device '/devices/platform/mv643xx_eth_port.0/net/eth0':
    KERNEL=="eth0"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net"
    DRIVER==""
    ATTR{addr_assign_type}=="0"
    ATTR{addr_len}=="6"
    ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0"
    ATTR{ifalias}==""
    ATTR{iflink}=="2"
    ATTR{ifindex}=="2"
    ATTR{type}=="1"
    ATTR{link_mode}=="0"
    ATTR{address}=="00:04:d1:0b:00:2c"
    ATTR{broadcast}=="ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff"
    ATTR{carrier}=="1"
    ATTR{speed}=="1000"
    ATTR{duplex}=="full"
    ATTR{dormant}=="0"
    ATTR{operstate}=="up"
    ATTR{mtu}=="1500"
    ATTR{flags}=="0x1003"
    ATTR{tx_queue_len}=="1000"
    ATTR{netdev_group}=="0"

  looking at parent device '/devices/platform/mv643xx_eth_port.0':
    KERNELS=="mv643xx_eth_port.0"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="platform"
    DRIVERS=="mv643xx_eth_port"

  looking at parent device '/devices/platform':
    KERNELS=="platform"
    SUBSYSTEMS==""
    DRIVERS==""