SYMLINK assignment in udev rules file

Hi,
I need some help with udev rule writing. I am having difficulty understanding the description for the SYMLINK assignment key (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/oneiric/man7/udev.7.html). The manpage
says,
"In case multiple devices claim the same name, the link always points to the device with the highest link_priority."

How can you have multiple devices that claim the same name? It is said in the description section of the manpage that "the kernel usually just assigns unpredictable device names based on the order of discovery." E.g. sda, sdb,...

The only situation I could think of where multiple devices claiming the same name is when the user decides to do NAME="sda", which is not recommended, as noted in the manpage.

Btw, none of the device file nodes are created in the filesystem (/dev) at this point right? Since filenames must be unique under a directory, I just don't see the case where "multiple devices claim the same name".

Thanks,
Jacky