Re: /var on a separate partition

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 23:39, William Hubbs <w.d.hubbs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 08:35:53PM +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 19:38, William Hubbs <w.d.hubbs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > I know that having /usr on a separate file system with the latest udev
>> > doesn't work without using an initramfs.
>> >
>> > Are there any other file systems that should be pre-mounted by the
>> > initramfs, such as /var? It looks like /var has to be pre-mounted if you
>> > have alsa installed, but I want to confirm whether folkson this list
>> > know this.
>>
>> There is no need for that. Systemd can bring up the box without /var,
>> and sort the services which need that after /var is mounted.
>>
>> Alsa has its own systemd service which initializes hardware at that
>> point, in case the coldplug run did not do it already from udev.
>
> In that case, shouldn't we have the alsa-utils folks drop
> /lib/udev/rules.d/90-alsa-restore.rules from their package?

Udev still takes care for hardware you connect later. Udev does the
hotplug path, the systemd service does the initial init during bootup.
Both are needed.

But the ACTION=="remove" rule in that file can surely be killed, not
sure who expected saving the state of a device that is already removed
to work. :)

Kay